Tuesday, February 01, 2005

A little picture!!

I realized as I am writing all this stuff about Iraq, that I have not really painted a picture of what it is like where I'm at! I was very surprised when I arrived as to what the surroundings are, and also the accomidations!
First off, we arrived in the darkness of night, and you descend in a C130 plane into Baghdad!
They do very quick combat maneuvers coming in to avoid fire if their was some! They rock back and forth, and do steep dives, and it feels weird because your in such a big plane, so if you are weak of stomach, get a barf bag!
Anyways, I was very surprised to see the vegetation in the area, and it is not at all that desert like in this area! There are a lot of palm trees, and tropical weeds, and plants, and it is very dense, at least in the areas where the military hasn't plowed due to security! Weeds are easy to hide in! The weather here seems to have been consistant so far, stayin in the 60's during the day, and cooler at night. Most of the time it has been sunny, and I can't complain about the weather.
The biggest shock is to what the military is capable of building in less than 2 years of being here.
Most people stay in trailer houses, and the bathrooms are in trailers as well! THe facilities are great considering. We have a hard building as a PX, and a hard building for a gym, with all new equipment. They are putting in new sidewalks, and hard buildings all the time! The best thing is the chow hall. If you have ever been to Treasure Island Casino Buffet, it compares to that!
They have different sections of food, from Mexican, to local food, to Italian, to Grill, and then regular chow! The desserts are served, and they are better than most I've ever had i the military! They have smoothie bars, and milkshake bars to have yourself on with chow!
Right now we are sleeping in tents, and are 160 on the waiting list to go to a trailer.
They try to do a lot here to keep your mind, and body occupied, so that is good, but everybody always misses home too much to do a lot! If you think about it , they have built a city for more than 20,000 people in this immediate area, in less than 2 years, so it is an amazing site to see! Some things are even more developed than Doha in Kuwait!
That is my update for now, so kepp in touch!
Later,
Erik

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude,

Wow, if it wasn't for what's going on over there it would seem like a pretty place to visit. The elections coverage was phenominal! It's cool to know someone who is helping to make history :o) And if I had been in that plane, I would have needed much more than a barf bag! But it sounds like you guys and gals are getting treated well.

We ate at mom and dad's in Burnsville on Sunday. Mark and I were tired, as we had a going away party for him the night previous. John even came! Now that was surprising ;o) Anyway, our puppy is brown and white, and I'm hoping that we get the female, SHE IS SO CUTE! But we'll see. We're planning on seeing Mis and the kids again on Wed. to go sledding or something...at the rate the snow is melting we might have to go to that indoor jungle gym thing in Woodbury. But it will be fun no matter what!

Well I just thought I would say hello, and give you some of the events that have been going on. Have a good night/ day. Tei

February 01, 2005 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shoes 468x60 Banner 10000017 Banner GNC 468x60 drugstore.com logo 468 x 60 HJ Great Value 468x60 DI TR Summer2005 468x60 May 468x60 ID=079 Banner 10000023 tees_468x60 Clearance_022805_1 Banner 468C