Thursday, July 21, 2005

Quicksand!


Texas Salt Flats by Ft. Bliss!
Originally uploaded by ErikHoltan.

Well, for those of you that missed my interview at voicepotential.org, I have been asked on a regular basis to give my thoughts on the troops thoughts as far as being here, and our view of President Bush.
So today I thought I would let people know day to day thoughts as to what we think and talk about!
First of all regarding President Bush? I did not vote for him origionally in 2000, and I thought it was a political joke the way that whole ballot thing went down. Now, September 11th 2001 was a horrible day in our history, but it showed me something. It showed me we weren't weak, and we could come together as a nation when we get over thinking about ourselves, and WANT to come together! Well, I believe President Bush handled that situation VERY well, and put on a strong face in a time we needed it! I don't care if he stutters in speeches, or takes a second to answer a member of the presses questions. That is human, and I saw the first 20 min. of Farenhiet 911, and it portrayed a bumbling George Bush on that day. Michael Moore should be ashamed that he made millions off of shaping a story by good editing, and a liberal point of view! That movie made me sick, not because things were or weren't true, but editing made that thing so 1 sided, and people believe he made good points! How do you know if they were good points, when you don't know how much he was embellishing it! He is guilty of the same thing he accuses everyone else of doing! Profiting at the expense of others! For his own good! As far as I know he did not donate his proceeds for the greater good! Michael Moore sucks!
Anyways, the President has, in my opinion, been the right one for the job in this period of time! Did I mention I voted for Clinton 2X?
Also, as far as the troops opinions over here on what we think of being over here or not, most people I know do not think about WHY we are here. We just are, and our goal is to get out of here and back to our families. So we try to keep our eye on the missions we have and being over here, yet try to maintain a sense of sanity, and a feel of home! I know EVERY soldier loves to hear from people at home, and just little things, like seeing a type of name brand item from a care package we haven't seen in a long time is a big booster! But we see a little more firsthand as to what we are accomplishing, and we don't get involved in the why's and why not's. We DO have opinions though, and we talk about those amongst ourselves. I know that LTC Spear in out office is die hard liberal, and we chide each other a lot! He sends me forwards from his friends about Bush, but I think it's funny! Other than that we all pretty much see why we all should be here now, and we think aside from the killing of innocent people, the insurgents, while getting clever in tactics, are just so stupid in that they are not proving any points for their side. And the people here are just getting more mad that civilians are getting killed! And not at us!
And the more they do outside of Iraq, like London, it will justify why we should be here fighting those same terrorists! Yeah, some days it sucks, and I try to show that in my posts, but they really only suck because of the situation. Hanging around the same people, same food, same toilet, same everything, and no porn!(Kidding)! Just the fact we are way from families, and everything else you would expect, but we are taken care of, and no matter where you are someone has done something to improve things! At FOB Lima, down by Karbala it was a very small FOB, that had little amenities, BUT it had a GREAT MWR with a theater and gym!Sometimes when I go to these other small FOB's I wish I was there the whole time, because less politics, and you just do your mission! I just performed a PDHA about an hour ago on a Major General here in our office, and I did no bootlicking, BUT I was myself, polite, and courteous! Maybe that I why I didn't get a coin for it? In short, we don't think, we are not paid for that! I hope somehow that answered some questions for everyone, and I will be glad to monitor my comments and respond to anyone that has a different opinion. Including that person the other day that called me a zealot for our government!
Later,
Erik

14 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Remember how I said I had to change my schedule to allow time to surf blogs? Well, it's 4:45 a.m. right now... does that count? Bah ha.

No... not on purpose. A huge storm was rolling in, I woke, remembered the beach towels on the deck that were ready to blow away, and the window my youngest daughter always sneaks open even though the air conditioning is on... I got up to take care of those and found more and more and more to do...

and here I am. ;)

Now about voting for Clinton... egads! That's ok, I'll count YOU as the person MY VOTES CANCELLED OUT! LOL.

July 21, 2005 2:47 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I agree with you 100% about Bush. I think he has done an outstanding job with the war. Great post today Erik. I could not have worded it any different. Stay safe and come home soon.

July 21, 2005 5:35 AM  
Blogger Erik Holtan said...

Alright Toni,
Now, I try to be soft in my post about the political subject, and I will get a couple things clear!
A) I DID NOT vote for Al Gore either. I believe Ralph Nader got my chickenscratch. That particular election did not have the best field.
B) Oh, I could say worse about Michael Moore, but then I would be like him! So I won't
C) I AM A DIE HARD CONSERVATIVE!
I was liberal the 1st time he got elected, I was conservative the second time, but cmon Bob Dole?
I don't think so!
But I did love Jesse Ventura also. I won't slack on anyone for their political affiliation!
I said I was a conservative, not a republican. Meaning I will vote for whoever the hell is gonna represent my values!

July 21, 2005 6:00 AM  
Blogger Erik Holtan said...

Oh, and I hate Rush Limbau!
Now nobody at voicepotential.org is gonna like me either!

July 21, 2005 6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your post today. Thanks for sharing your views. Take care.

July 21, 2005 6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you think of Rumsfeld and the availability of supplies/protective gear for soldiers? I have to say, I don't like Bush and I really don't like Cheney or Rumsfeld. I don't think we ever should have gone in to Iraq without UN approval. But, now that we are there we must stay indefinitely. Just throwing up another point of view! If all you hear is an echo of your own opinion, you don't learn anything, right?
By the way I told Kate that I'd corresponded with you and it made her nervous.
Pat

July 21, 2005 6:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Erik - you are a real politician - always jumping to the other side of the fence! HA!! I am just glad that if I am stuck in this big ol' sand box - that it is with a guy who loves his family, his country and his freedoms. Blog on Brotha'!

July 21, 2005 6:36 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

LOL.....some interesting comments. I will openly say I am aJesse Ventura fan as well. ;)!! Oh, I too voted for Clinton.

July 21, 2005 7:02 AM  
Blogger Erik Holtan said...

Hey Pat, tell Kate to maybe email me once and awhile! After all she is gonna be my sister in law right?
And as far as the Rumsfeld thing, the equipment thing in good. I will say alot of equipment has been improvised because they never had that shape of armor on NON armor vehicles. I have heard no complaints about that stuff. Also, that seemed more publicity with him than anything. As far as liking them, I don't know. They are paid employees, whether I like them, I can't answer, because I don't work with them day to day, and in the end the responsibility will fall on the President.

July 21, 2005 7:12 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Yes, spf...exactly...glad you are going to play!!!!!

July 21, 2005 8:38 AM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Hey I voted for Clinton twice and Dan voted for Bush the first time. Now that he is caught up in this whole thing. He is a little more thoughtful. He voted Kerry last time. I voted Bush and I even changed my party to Republican, go figure. Me and Dan flip flopped.
I agree with you. Bush is the right man for the job. Tough!

July 21, 2005 9:05 AM  
Blogger YellowRose said...

Good post Erik, I couldn't agree with you more on Micheal Moore (what a cad) and that Bush has been the man for the job.

Really enjoy your posts...keep up the great work!

July 21, 2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Erik,
I missed your posts the last couple of days because of my work schedule but this one is great! (well, all of them are). Ron and I support President Bush all the way even though our children were asked to serve in the war and we have many friends who are still serving in the sandbox( you amongst them). As for the government zealot thing??? You are doing a job that not everyone would have the courage to do - and fighting for the freedom that we are so blessed to have. Thanks for your insight, Erik, and God bless you as you serve.

July 22, 2005 4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

April 25, 2007 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shoes 468x60 Banner 10000017 Banner GNC 468x60 drugstore.com logo 468 x 60 HJ Great Value 468x60 DI TR Summer2005 468x60 May 468x60 ID=079 Banner 10000023 tees_468x60 Clearance_022805_1 Banner 468C