Friday, August 19, 2005

SPF Things that irritate me, and stress me!



OKAY, we all know that I have posted a lot of things that stress me here, and that is all true, but those are not visual, BUT I can show you what scares me more than a gecko surprising me in the bathroom! Snakes and Scorpions!! Look at those dang things, I actually like to look at them AT THE ZOO, and on the Crocodile Hunter, but not in the wild! I was telling this guy this morning of when I was a Ft. Stewart GA. in the early 90's and we were out in the field. The bathrooms were these huts with plywood sheets with holes in then to sit on, and I was obliging one evening, and I am thinking about how great it was to be all alone concentrating(that's as far as it went), and then I guess this big ol black snake decided to crawl underneath the wall right in front of me! Talk about scaring the crap out of me! So that irritates me, and when I was in Honduras, the hooch I slept in had Tarantulas and Scorpions on the cieling and walls no different than regular spiders in the states! They were all over! Freaked me out! At first I could not get not sleep! But I got used to it, and Scorpions are not that bad, but fast!
OKAY, I have some things I want to comment on today, and it is regarding things I have been reading in the papers!

-This mom in Texas is REALLY pissing me off, and the circus it has become is embarrassing.
Her son had a choice to be in the military, and got paid to do so! He knew the risks. She now is taking the focus off her son, and it is on her! SHE DIDN'T DIE, her son did! Unless he left her instruction to do this, she should walk away! What does she want to accomplish? She has had plenty of administration people come out to talk, but if EVERY PERSON wanted to talk to the President when they had bad things happen, well, I can't even counter that! It is ridiculous. People think it is a political view, and I don't give a crap what her political affiliation is, but she is NO different than the 4500 other parents that have lost love ones thus far here! Let your son rest with dignity, and honor, and quit making HIM the reason for your cause! HE is the HERO. HE DIED FOR US, FOR YOU! Just be PROUD!!

-Sen. Russ Fiengold(D) from Wisconsin thinks he's an expert on when the troops should come home! Funny, he is a leading prospect to run for president next time! God help us, and STFU!
Why do politicians go there? He has no bearing on the decision! Because he says it it will happen! How the hell can politicians make dumbass statements like that, when they have no idea how it can happen? He thinks we should pull the troops by the end of 2006! Politicians just grandstand empty words! Were going from 130,000+ troops down to 0 in a year! Dude, quit throwing things out there and seeing if they stick! That much troop movement in that period of time is just ridiculous also! If you can publicly make statements like that you should have to show your plan to impliment it, like everyone else when they work at a job!
See, Democrats argue that we need a timeframe for withdrawl, and Republicans say they can't put a timetable for it up, and the Democrats say "See they don't have any plans for downsizing"
and then if the Republicans say we will withdrawl next year, and we don't, then they attack them for not following the plan! If you actually got as much things done internally,as you do in the press, you would be efficient!

-I was gonna rant about religion today, but it was too long, so I will do it tommorrow!

-And remember, I have new updates on Love from the Latrine!

Watch out for snakes and scorpions and have a great weekend!
Later,
Erik

24 Comments:

Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Those thing stress me out,too. Hey Erik I got my new digital camera and hubby took my self portrait picture. (I had to threaten him with a knife to take the picture.) I still have a few things to learn about it, but it was easy to work and to get my picture into the puter. I am so proud of myself. Katy is making me a computer genius. Stacy is a big help, too. I love you guys.

August 19, 2005 4:37 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I hate snakes also Erik. I also dislike this woman in Texas camped outside the President's ranch. I hope that she got her wakeup call yesterday, I heard that her mother had a stroke in California. Hopefully she loves her mother enough to go be with her.

Hope you have a good weekend Erik. Stay safe.

August 19, 2005 5:08 AM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

Snakes? I am so terrified of snakes...I think that it out ranks my fear of mice. EWWW! I also dislike what the mom in Tx is doing, you are right on all of that. (IMHO)

Hope you have a great day - and stay clear of the snakes and scorpions! Thanks for what you are doing(and thanks to your family for sharing you with all of us!)

August 19, 2005 5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SGT Holtan,
The mom in Texas is even worse then most realize. Her & her husband actually DID get to meet one on one with the President shortly after her son died. After that meeting they both said how nice & caring he was, etc. Here is the link to the article in their hometown newspaper. http://www.thereporter.com/republished Disgracefully she has turned her sons death into a media circus. Every war has had morons that have protested & insisted it was wrong - even the "great" wars like WWI & WWII. However, now it seems as if too many Americans cannot think past next week (or maybe last week) and are willing to give up at the first sign of a difficult conflict. It's easy to sit at home or march around protesting, wringing your hands & blame the President for everything from flu vaccine shortage to the missing teen in Aruba - it's quite another to actually make an effort to DO something tangible. I gigress - sorry - maybe I should create my own blog thing...Anyway - take care, keep your chin up. Despite what the media tries to depict, there are still a lot of real supportors & intelligent people that know CNN only presents one side of every story.

MAJ B

August 19, 2005 5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I just have to say, Major B, that this is what Cindy Sheehan is TRYING to do. Something tangible. Just because it doesn't agree with your idea of what's right doesn't make it wrong. Whether one agrees or not, give her the freedom to express herself. Isn't that what most soldiers, incluclding Erik right here on his post, say they are in Iraq for? To protect rights such as that? Instead of calling her a moron I'd think a bit of compassionate disagreement would be more helpful.
I am in support of all soldiers wherever they may be posted, but I think it's really important to allow people to express themselves, liberal and conservative.
Pat

August 19, 2005 6:14 AM  
Blogger Erik Holtan said...

Alright Pat,
And you know where I stand and Kat has emailed me and said she was surprised we got along in an email!
I understand your point of view, BUT...BUT... BUT...she is USING her son, who is no longer with us as her clout, as a pawn for attention! THAT is the problem!
I AM NOT here to protect the disgrace she is showing for her son, that must have believed in what he was doing as he VOLUNTEERED to be in!
She has a choice to protest, but protest with HER own integrity!
Like I said, let him rest in peace! I know we could go around in cirles on this, and I have STRONG political beliefs, but if I post them we will argue. All you have to do is ask Kate!
Have a good day though, and I am not attacking you, just agreeing to disagree! Thanks for the point of view also!

August 19, 2005 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snakes don't stress me out as much as the spiders, EEEEEK!!! My 4 year old found a baby garden snake in our yard the other day but the way he reacted you'd have thought he stumbled upon a giant anaconda.

I agree with you on Cindy Sheehan; we've heard her point of view and she is entitled to it. Now she needs to shut up and go home. Surely there are productive things at home that need to be done now that her husband has left her. I realize that's easy for me to say since my oldest son is only 6 but if he were to decide to join the military I will be damn sure that he knows what's expected of him and why. The military is still all voluntary, hello?

August 19, 2005 7:22 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I have night terrors about snakes! Eeewwww.

I agree 100% with you about the mother in Texas. She has gone way to far!

-T
http://baksha.com/blog/

August 19, 2005 7:40 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Tarantulas and scorpions on the ceiling? Holy mother...I just fainted.

August 19, 2005 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the whole cindy sheehan thing (I assume you're talking about her)- I totally agree.
Her son died a year ago and she's *still* using him for her political agenda. Pathetic.
As for snakes- I'm sorry but I love snakes! I think they're awesome.

August 19, 2005 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all wrong, dammit! Just KIDDING! I disagree, but regardless of if you think this is a just war or not, we should appreciate that folks are allowed to protest these things. There will be unjust wars in the future and there have been unjust wars in the past. Cindy Sheehan has her right to protest, and I support her right.
Pat

August 19, 2005 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, when your child dies from cancer, even though he smoked, that takes away your right to fight the f-ing tobacco companies?

Choice or no choice, a mom lost her son, and she's sad and angry and well, dealing with it as she needs to . . . everyone deals with grief in their own way. Exploitation? That's harsh. And I think unfair. I'm with Pat . . . otherwise why are we at war - so YOU can dictate what is right and wrong?

Just another opinion to even things out.

Dare I publish my name??!!


P.S. One year without your son doesn't mean the pain isn't as severe as it was the day he died.

August 19, 2005 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Erik, I'd probably be the crazy lunatik camping out in front of the Whitehouse or the Bush vacation house or his ranch {or any other one of the million dollar homes he owns} should anything ever happen to you.

August 19, 2005 10:14 AM  
Blogger YellowRose said...

Snakes..the nastiest creatures on earth!! I absolutely hate them!! I have a snake phobia, can you tell?

August 19, 2005 10:50 AM  
Blogger Taylor said...

Hello Erik! Let me first say that the pictures of you in front of those posters are hilarous! Those faces you are making cracks me up.

As for the Cindy situation, I think you could not have said it any better. I agree with everything that you have said 100%. As for everyone who disagrees with you, I think this is your place to state you opinions and everyone should respect that.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Stay away from those awful looking creatures! ;)

August 19, 2005 11:24 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wow Erik you got lots of posts on your view of the whole thing. You know I would never want to lose my son or go threw that but you are sooo right he did make the choice to join the military and he did his job and he is among the men and women who have paid the Ultimate Sacrifice. I pray for all our troops overseas and home. Each day in our lives is percious.
Snakes and things like that freak me out too. I hated living in Georgia all the funky bugs and rest is it nice to be away from them. Jenn

August 19, 2005 11:43 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Erik,
Well, I have been struggling for awhile now with all the deaths in Iraq, BUT I believe in our President and that he is very conscious of the cost of this war.
Every single loss and every casualty isn't felt any less by him than by anyone else. As for Cindy Sheehan, grief is a terrible thing and it can change us. But it doesn't have to change us for the worse...it can inspire us to try to make things better. She could put her energy toward something positive to support the troops rather than protest the cause they are fighting for. I guess we will never all agree on this subject, but for those of us who love a soldier - and those of us who love a soldier AND veteran(s)- I believe that wherever they go and whatever battle they fight while wearing the uniform is a worthwhile cause.
Peace takes so much less energy than protest - it takes prayer and diligence and resolve, but it does not bring unrest to the heart as anger does.
She does have a right to protest - but she needs to do this on its own merit, not by using her son's death as the instrument.

Spiders...I am the official spider killer in the family (no one asked me if I WANTED that job...it just got handed to me). But snakes...I THINK NOT.
Take care, Erik.

August 19, 2005 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok so i thought that i would post something on your site. you seem to post on my sisters site alot. anyways i know kind of where you are over here, at least if the pic of you with the light behind you standing on the balcony is where you are stationed than i definantly know where you are because i ate breakfest in that building not to long ago like begining of july. yeah i dont know which place i worse where you are or where i am way up north. anyways just thought i would say thanks for the nice comments on my sisters site and be safe SGT.

August 19, 2005 1:28 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

I think I've seen a scorpion up close once when I was in Baja, Mexico. They are fast indeed. Snakes...not my favorite either. I actually am more afraid of big spiders. lol

I look forward to hearing your rant on religion!

Talk to you later. :)

August 19, 2005 2:34 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

I remember the first time we found a scorpion in our apartment in Austin. We stayed up ALL night wit th lights on so no more would come in (that was our thought, anyway). We then proceeded to take the dead dude to our apt. manager ("It's just a bug," they said. JUST A BUG!??!!?), the library (to research him) and Home Depot (to figure out how to catch and deter them).

It was there that another Home Depot patron said, "Well, at least it wasn't a rattle snake." To which I mentally responded, "When the f was that my other choice? Scorpion or rattle snake!??!

And yes, I still miss TX like crazy.

August 19, 2005 6:20 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Ok Erik, I was not going to post anything, but I just can't stand it anymore after reading these comments.

I am one proud mom of a soldier deployed in Iraq, who happens to be home on R&R right now.

I love my son more than anything in this world. He is the reason that I wake up every single morning. He is my reason to live. He joined the National Guard in December 2001, which happens to be after 9/11. He knew what he was getting himself into, and that made me that much more proud to call him my son. I too, don't want anything to happen to my one and only child, but I could not in any way whatsoever hold our Commander/President responsible. I would continue to pay my taxes, as it is the right thing to do.

Our Commander, has done one hell of a job in my opinion. I might not agree with every single one of his decisions, but for my son's sake, I have to back the President in every aspect of everything that he does when it comes to this war.

I along with lots of other moms feel pain for Cindy, because she has lost a child, but I have no sympathy for her and what she is doing in Texas. There is no telling how much money she has made off of this crap.

OK, I have ranted enough. Erik, I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything that you and all of the other soldiers are doing for our country. Keep your head up, stay safe for us, and just remember you are over there for all the right reasons.

August 20, 2005 11:50 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Anonymous said: "So, when your child dies from cancer, even though he smoked, that takes away your right to fight the f-ing tobacco companies?"


Well... ummm... yeah. It does.

August 20, 2005 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to try to keep this short!
Someone needs to smack her upside the head!. She got her meeting the first time. No, we can’t pull the troops out right now. We have committed our selves to this cause (for the right reason or not, it doesn’t matter)

If we pull out now we are no better than terrorists! Go in blow everything up and walk away with everything in shambles. Forget WMD’s and whether or not they were there. We took an evil dictator out of power and are helping them rebuild a free society. My guess is 99.9% of the people protesting the war (which technically over) have never lived in a society that they could be killed for their beliefs.

I could go on and on but this is Erik’s blog.
Stay safe.

Ryan

August 22, 2005 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP film editing schools

March 17, 2007 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shoes 468x60 Banner 10000017 Banner GNC 468x60 drugstore.com logo 468 x 60 HJ Great Value 468x60 DI TR Summer2005 468x60 May 468x60 ID=079 Banner 10000023 tees_468x60 Clearance_022805_1 Banner 468C