That damn Hamster wheel in my head!


The hamster wheel is turning again, although I should call it a mouse wheel because I have been playing a game of cat and mouse for the last couple days! This dang thing is pissed I think because I nabbed its offspring last time, and I put some peanut butter on the trap, and went to chow, came back and the peanut butter was GONE! I know he was behind the file cabinet saying "SUCKER", so then I put a lot on it, and 4 days later, it is still sitting there! I WILL get him!
So, today I have a lot! Some opinions, some advice, sum of nothing!
1st off, I was on AOL, and I noticed they had a poll on whether the President should be on vacation. WTF? It must be a slow news month, for them to be asking that! I think the person who wrote that question should go on vacation for asking that question for a poll! I mean, I can tell you what the result is! The Republicans are all gonna say "Of course", and the democrats are gonna say "Absolutley he should not" and whoever votes most will win! DUH!
They article is in my local paper about me, and it is pretty good, I think the writer did a good job a deciphering my phone babble! And the Minneapolis StarTribune, has a story on Iraq heat, and the writer used my oven post I had last week, and also linked my site, so to both of those publications, thanks for the soldier support! The Star Trib gets plenty of heat for being a liberal paper, but they do a DAMN good job of getting the story on local units, and local soldiers and for that they are great! Mark Brunswick does a great job! Thanks Tom Kaiser also at SWC Bulletin!
OK, now I told all the people that are deploying I would give them advice on what to bring, and more notably, I will say, what NOT to bring! For families who worry about the safety of the soldiers, I will say it is not as bad as it is made out to be on a constant basis, and the FOB's and bases are relatively safe, the roads however, are where the damage gets done!
I will also refer you all to the other spouses, and moms on my blogroll as they voice their concerns quite often, and I don't really know what it is like to be a family member with a loved one gone!
As far as the troops go? Ok, I know you are preparing to come over HERE, but keep in mind that you will be going thoruhg lengthy training 1st. Things you will need there you probably won't need here! While you are training in the states it will be EASY to contact home, as it's obvious the phones and internet are good! I would suggest you bring a laptop if you are able to, because you can use that for MANY different things! Bring a good movie collection, before I had a TV in my room, I watched the laptop ALL the time! I was fortunate enough to get a laptop given to me before I left, and it is top notch, but a mid level laptop will work well! Wireless internet SHOULD be availible at the training sites(At least it was at Ft. Bliss!) Yes, sometimes I would have to go into the housing areas and sit on the curb, but whatever for my family and blog! Either way you can save your emails journals pictures and all that!
Bring a good digital camera! You do not want to bypass this picture opportunity in EVERY situation while training and in country!
As far as comfort items, and things of that nature, I will tell you MY opinion! As everyoneis different! I brought an Ipod, which I keep in my room attached to some computer speakers. Sometimes I use it, but now since I have my TV and DVD player, I don't use it that much!
If I listen to music, I plug my headphones into my laptop and listen to Itunes!
You can't run using headphones here! Just a headsup! At least here at Victory!
Toiletries? Well, bring a SMALL supply, because in the US, they have good PX's obviously, but don't stock up there either! If you can't get it here or YOUR brand here, have someone send it to you! I had my wife send me a 24 pack of Irish Spring! I still have about 10 left! Toothpaste, deoderant, shaving cream, those things are availible at the PX, or plenty of care packages have those things in there, you will build a good collection! I am cheap, so if someone tells me they want to send something, I tell them what I need and don't! I thought I would need lotion here, but I haven't needed any since spring! Chicks use it a lot, but they would anyways!
That's too much about toiletries! Don't fill extra space with those things!
As far as TA-50, I HAD to bring ALL of it to Bliss with us, then we went through CUF, and all that, and were taken over to FEDEX to send the excess home! So you are probably going to bring everything from MN, and end up sending it home! You know, you'll get PLENTY of tshirts, and all that crap! You don't need transformer/power converters even when you get here, well you DO, but there are plenty here, and if you NEED one buy it here! They are a heavy little thing, and thought I would be ahead of the game and buy one in Kuwait, and now I have 4 in my room, and use 1! Just bring what would make you happy if you had to lay in bed all day long! Think of what you would do! Sorry, NO Porn over here, except LOTS of Maxims
That is what comfort items you would want here at least initially!
I will tell you what I could go on for days, but leave me questions on my comments and will answer!
Other than that, I am sorry I have been so perverted lately, as my wife said yesterday to me that people are probably getting sick of the sexual inuendos. She's not,(I hope) but I told her that others sit there and do it about their spouses, so why can't I? I told her the moms of soldiers don't, they talk about praying for me! So that is good, but does it means that I am prayed for because sex is evil? Or just because I'm over here?
Hey, I haven't gotten any since last year, what am I suppose to act like?
Well, everyone have a great day, and Curt's wife posts things since we have no idea where the hell he is, or when he is getting in!
Later,
Erik











20 Comments:
Hope you catch that little critter.
Just wanted to say thanks a million for everything Erik. You have been great.
Excellent post about what to and not to bring. Stay Safe.
Erik,
Good post, especially for all those waiting to be deployed. No sense hauling all those things over to the sandbox if they can buy it at the PXs or receive it from stateside while they are there.
Well, I can tell you that this mom of a soldier prays for you because she cares about you and because she wants you to come home safely to your beautiful wife and family. Of course it's not my prayers that will make that happen but rather His answers...but, heck, it sure doesn't hurt for Him to hear about you. :) Because of my children who have and are serving, I feel like all soldiers are part of my family.
And I truly mean that.
Hope Curt gets there safely and soon.
Stay safe my friend and may God watch over you and keep you in His loving care.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erik, you can talk about sex as much as you want to, this is your blog. I don't find it offensive, just sweet.
Sometimes Americans are sooo prissy it amazes me.
Hope you catch the critter. Stay safe.
I cannot believe that picture of you hiding behind the tree. It almost made pop come out of my nose.
So awesome that your words are getting out there!! Keep up the great blog Eric.
We have been doing battle with mice also. We caught four last week. I think we got em all or we scared the hell out of them. Nothing has been touched on our traps lately.
Praying for Curt's safe return.
UGH - better get that critter! Good Luck! Stay safe!
The cat and mouse story made me laugh! I hope you catch the little guy.
Congrats on being in the local papers recently. Good stuff! :)
Oh, and I am definitely not one to talk about sexual innuendo. ;-) You probably get sick of my blog for that reason. hehe...feel free to talk about whenever of course. It's your blog.
Stay well. :)
Thanks for helping me out Erik! I'm such a blonde! LOL.
I tried to read the article but you have to log in first, is there any way you could post it? I am really interested in reading it!
Hope you have a wonderful day. Good luck catching that little booger!
If all that sex talk was about anything and anyone other than your WIFE then you bet I'd tell you to keep your evil thoughts to yourself... but ya know... since it's all about Missy and you have a ring and a covenant with her I'd say 'nah, sex isn't evil' and they are praying for you cuz you are over there. ;)
PS:
I don't want to register to read those news articles (you can't read them if you aren't registered) so I'm going to take your word that they are wonderfully written. :)
Hope you catch that little mouse! :) Poor mickey...lol
Great articles btw! You should be very proud!
Stay Safe!
Erik..must we talk about rodents. Ugh! My total phobia! lol. I wouldn't be able to sleep until that damn thing was caught.
Now...my hubby brought back more dvds than a small amazon distribution center could hold. LOL. That and his portable dvd were the purchases from the px. I told him I'd send beer ...but he assured me he could wait. LOL
XOXO
C
Yep, I knew it! Just another little hamster making the master do his bidding! How are ya' buddy? I have a lot of catching up to do, but just wanted to say hello!... More later - gotta review your last month of blogs!! WHEWWWW-HOOO!
Yeah, you perv. No, we totally understand, that's a long time to be away from the wife. I hope that you and Missy have someone to watch the kids so you can have a few days alone when you return home!
If there weren't a war going on over there Iraq almost looks nice with the palm trees you've posted the last few days. Maybe ya'll could open some kind of Club Med there? Or not...
Sgt. Holtan, thanks for the info. I think I'll make a care package for myself, so when i finally get to Iraq, I can have a buddy send it to me. prolly be the easiest thing to do. Thanks again, Spc. Fields.
Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
Washer dryer review ratings frigidaire ppc 5050 Camcorder gs19 multicam palmcorder panasonic pv
Enjoyed a lot! »
Best regards from NY! » »
Post a Comment
<< Home