Thursday, September 01, 2005

SPF Watching TV!


Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,
I don't post for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose! No, I don't think people arelooting in LA. because I didn't post!
But dudes, I am burnt the F out of Iraq! I am burnt out blogging, and I am sorry I really don't visit sites that much the past couple days!
First off, I had a shot clinic at the palace a couple days ago that was 14 hours long, and me an Curt gave ALL the shots that day. Were still entering them all into MEDPROS, but I would say we did about 400 total injections, including the dang smallpox, which I HATE giving because it hurts the hell out of the person getting it! Especially the way I give it!
But, that was a burnout day for us, and I was seeing stars at the end of that day! While I was up there, our PAO(public affairs office) came by and filmed a couple pieces of us! MAJ Olson, who is in the MN NG is the PAO officer now, so he gets a lot of media play for us to MN, because he is one of us, so he had a shot of me saying "Hey Metrodome, I'm SGT Erik Holtan, and I am in Camp Victory Iraq, and Vikings I want you to STICK IT to the TB Buccaneers. SGM where are you from?" He says, Tampa Bay! I say, Oh man, and roceed to stick the needle in his arm, and he cries in pain! It was corny but fun! This will show on the Jumbotron at the Vikings/ TB game I think Sept. 8th, so if anyone goes to the game see me there! He then had 1SG, and Curt go outside and do a BUNCH of spots over and over for the Gophers, and outside MN for the frickin PACKERS, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams, , and even the NO Saints! I don't know if that one will show this year though!
I tend to act as the tour guide when people come into town here, as I like to show people where the cool picture items are, because the way I see it, if you are only here for a couple days, then you need to see those things to take pictures of! But I have a couple people her from Balad, in the Puerto Rico NG who came down to pick up some equipement, and I'll tell you, they take care of us when we are up there, and so I will return the favor! The Puerto Rican NG soldiers are some of the nicest people, along with the Hawaiian NG! I got a lot of great pics yesterday while I was showing them around! Places I have been to tons of times, but find different things every time. Like the palace bathroom!
**** WARNING, my view is RAW, and based on media reports! My wife called me out here on the comments, and I agree with her, and I won't edit my comments, and our countries media is where we overseas form our views! So, if you don't like my view, I call it like the media lets me see it! NOW MAYBE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY YOU SHOULD NOT BE SWAYED BY THE MEDIA TRUSTING THE IRAQ SITUATION!****
So anyways, I won't comment too much on the hurricane destruction, because most of you will probably think I am being insensative to the situation! I have ALL the sympathy in the world for the true victims in that area! I have ALL the critisism in the world for the CITY of NO government, and State of LA government for not preparing for something like this! This could have been prevented, at least the magnitude! Lake Ponchotrain did not just SHOW UP there.
The mighty Missisippi did not JUST START FLOWING!
Anyways, I watch the news, and get pissed! I would love to help certain people that need it, but in a culture that sits and waits for this stuff to happen, and then does not evacuate, and then COMPLAINS on TV "Why aren't they coming to get us?" All pissed off! WHAT THE HELL? Yeah, the country is sitting back and laughing! Yeah right! And then the looting and the shooting! People are trying to help! And then the media comes on and actually says things like "I have never seen congress sit back and do nothing more than I have now!" And " This is not the America I grew up in!" First of all they have probably never grew up in the poor part of NO, and had a hurricane go through! So you are just silly for that comment! And it has only been 3 days, and millions of poeple need to be relocated, but enough is not being done? Helicopters can only carry so many poeple! Stadiums can only hold so many people health wise as well!
These thugs trying to just bust into buildings on camera, and killing people, and raping people. I hate to say it, but it is part of the culture, and were no different than ANYWHERE in the world, but like to think we are less vulnerable! Were not!
Alright, now that I just explained a little more than I intended to, I probably sound cold and not very sympathetic. well, I am sympathetic to EVERY one of the people that keeps a cool head, and puts an effort into understanding the situation they are in.
I see it a little different, because in ONE day 850 people were killed in Baghdad at ONE event in one small area, and 100's of people get killed here EVERY day by there own countrymen! This is a way of life here! DEATH! It is sad that they are immune to it here in a lot of ways, but the support seems great from around the US, but the shooters, and looters ruin it, and we look no different than any country we try to set the example!
Oh well, I LOVE AMERICA, and love ALL the support MOST poeple give! Too bad the few can spoil the best intenitons! If you are in N.O, and you see them do something like that! Please don't be afraid to take them and teach them something!
Later,
Erik

9 Comments:

Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Good Morning to you too, Erik. I guess we all have our own opinions. Helplessness gives one the feeling of frustration. Yea, we can give our money but what else can a person do? Sit and watch tv and shake our head in disbelief. This is happening in America?

September 02, 2005 3:57 AM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

Erik & Mis,

That's a lot of shots for a day - 14 hours - that would take a lot out of a guy - not too mention - OUCH!!

Don't let the media sway your opinion - we don't believe all the crap they report about Iraq...I think the media needs to have their heads examined..But as long as people watch they will broadcast whatever they want.

As for the looters - I can understand stealing diapers, formula and food (I admit it, I probably would have stole food for my babies..I am their Momma, I couldn't let them not have what they need to survive.) - but the guns, tv's and jewelry- WTH? and for shooting at the people trying to rescue you-WTF?

Have a good day Erik - not all of America believes what they see on the news, & not all of NO is bad.

September 02, 2005 6:24 AM  
Blogger Erik Holtan said...

Well, I guess I am mostly irritatd about most of the people that ruin it, and understand about the kids, and babies, and sick, and elderly!
I don't know, N.O. is not really the place you want to sway off the beaten path anyways even during normal times! Like I say, I LOVE the area down there, and am even more sad about the Gulfport, and coastal MS. area, because htat place was this hidden gem that I loved, and even my wife and kids loved staying in Gulfport MS. last year. It was quite, polite, and not busy! Yeah, maybe my views are scewed a bit, because, in the military, all I need is a sidewalk to rest my head on, or dirt! I can live quite simply, I don't like it, but I have and I would again if I had to! I guess I am not putting those down that are on roof tops, but the ones in the crowds by the Superdome! It would be hard to have patience, but nothing can be done that isn't already be done!
I guess Anderson Cooper from one of the outlets really irritates me! It is great so much support is wanted to be given!
OK, now I am watching CNN right now, and this is what I am talking about! They are talking to a AF Colonel, and he is explaining the plan they are working on, and he is giving numbers on how many people they can get out with aircraft, and the REPORTER gets mad saying "That's NOT enough, Is there any way to get more there faster?" Cmon dude, what are you thinking? Do you think they are half assing it? CNN sucks, I have always been open, but I CANNOT believe the stuff they are letting their reporters spew as they interview poeple!
Another thing, yesterday, the TV channel's were showing military helicopters shuttle people out of there, and those video shots were BEING TAKEN FROM NEWS HELICOPTERS!!!!! I GUESS THEY CAN'T HELP OUT? Well, they can't make ratings or $ by shuttling people out!!! And don't tell me those things are not configured for passengers! If you can put 1 sick person out that would be enough!

September 02, 2005 6:30 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Dude... look at all that marble in those photos.

September 02, 2005 7:19 AM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Yeah, I'm a Virgo and we avoid confrontation, so I'm just gonna say, that totally rocks that you get to be on the Jumbotron!!!! I hope they can tape it for you somehow.

September 02, 2005 6:04 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Erik,
Well, today I am kind of with you and Mis both. It's hard to even imagine what devestation is there in the South and as a mom, I can't even possibly imagine my children having to live in those conditions. But I have also seen some compassionate reporters...who are there to let us know what is going on in New Orleans and other places hit by the hurricane. Because if we didn't see it, it would not be possible to understand what has happened there. About Iraq, there are better ratings in the bad stuff..so sad to say that, but it's true. Sometimes when the news is on, and the anchors and reporters are speaking in voices WAY louder than necessary...I want to just say to them that they are not calling a football game or any other event...but rather reporting someone's tragedy. That doesn't require an "outside" voice...but rather a softer tone...like it matters to them. I am glad to see you are ok, Erik...and we know that you don't LIVE to BLOG. But we who care about you do CARE about you and wonder how you are.
If nothing else in my reply makes sense, that is what I want you to understand most...that we care.
God bless you.

September 02, 2005 6:14 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Erik - I agree with a lot of what you said about the lack of preparedness ... in fact with all of it. But I can also see how easy it would be to start by finding / taking food or water, and then take guns for protection from the raping and gangs. Maybe the other things were taken for use to trade with hoarders who have food and water, I don't know. But I know that the city / region / state didn't do nearly enough - and didn't call for help fast enough. So the blame gets shared around, in my eyes.

I will say that no matter how bad it gets, I see no justificaiton for people breaking into a hospital and stealing their supplies. That is just wrong.

September 02, 2005 8:46 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Okay, forgive me for my lack of comments lately. I love the pictures. I think you should use the toilet one in your profile. I recieved a very sweet card from Mis. I sure wish we could meet. She is such a doll. You are one lucky guy. Anyways, I an off to read more of your stupid blog.;)bwahahahahaha totally kidding of course. About the stupid, not the reading of your blog.

September 04, 2005 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

March 02, 2007 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shoes 468x60 Banner 10000017 Banner GNC 468x60 drugstore.com logo 468 x 60 HJ Great Value 468x60 DI TR Summer2005 468x60 May 468x60 ID=079 Banner 10000023 tees_468x60 Clearance_022805_1 Banner 468C