Thursday, October 27, 2005

Let me tell you a little bit about Baghdad!


From this....

And this....


To this in 10 minutes!




I have a lot of ground to cover today, and on a couple of different subjects.

First, let me give you a taste of the big city....Baghdad. I have stayed down there for a couple weeks(Downtown in the IZ), and have flown over it sooo many times, but love to because you see so much. I have put some pictures up of Baghdad proper, and what it might look like to fly over it. Well, I guess this IS what it looks like. You have a VERY densely populated area, more so than anywhere I have been, and in the former government area in which we now utilize along side the Iraqi government called the IZ(formerly Green Zone), there are SO many cool things to see, not unlike Washington D.C.! Things special to the culture of Iraq, and more built for Saddam, by Saddam! Nonetheless, some are cool! Some were in the process of being built, if you can see the HUGE mosque in my picture that has all little buildings around it. It was gonna be the bigest mosque in the world when it was finished, but as you can see the cranes are still up, and it sits vacant. I am sure once things settle here the Iraqi government will figure out how it will be finished. But also, the traffic is NO different than America, with rush hour and everything. It's just that rush hour here is a bit more dangerous than America.
But, you can see by the desert picture, in 10 minutes by helicopter you go from city to desolate, it is a cool site, and much more peaceful flying over sand.

As well, I gotta tell you what it is like here close to going home time!
You are happy that your time is closing in, but as with anything, you will miss the day to day of certain things, like Palm trees and living in MN, the weather. I will for sure not miss most of the peeps here, but some I will! I WILL NOT miss the active duty lifestyle, the mindframe that you are not really in control of your schedule, and you are controlled by people that don't think like you! That is fine, but in the military poeple like to push their morals off on how they judge you. I am a pretty moral guy, but if someone cheats on their wife, I don't hate them, it is after all, THEIR problem. I they read the bible or the don't doesn't mean a thing to me, and I don't care if they do or don't! If they smoke, chew, drink, fart, take showers, or DON'T. I don't care, it is their life, BUT when it affects me is when I do care, and I also DO NOT like when someone tells me my habits are wrong or right! I see it in the military more than most places!
I will miss the security of what the military offers. Pay, benefits, knowing my family has benefits! But I have learned some negative things this year as well. I have learned that people are not always what they portray themselves to be! I have learned that people I trusted the most, I should not have trusted at all. Happens to a lot when they get deployed! That is betrayal on the ultimate level. Wait till someones leaves then take advantage! It makes me more skeptical than before I left for sure. I am sad I have to came back home and not have friends that I used to have! I am glad I know they are not my friends anymore, but sad!
I have learned that some PEOPLE are GREAT!!!! I have heard from so many people this year.
New people, old friends, relatives, celebrities, GREAT AMERICANS!!!!!!
I don't really want to publisize WHEN I leave here, and WHEN I get home. I have not thought about how much I will blog when I get home. I am sure my family has more important things to occupy my time, and I can't wait for that, but as much as I love talking about how much I love my family, I want people to know what it is like when a soldier returns to civilian life.
We'll see, I have til Thankgiving at least to enjoy Iraq! I have a little time still to enjoy the life!
Later,
Erik

17 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Erik,
I'm sorry that you have found that some people are less than you thought they were - happy that you at least have some good things to remember about the sandbox...the hustle and bustle of Baghdad, the serenity of the desert. And thoughit's good that your experience hasn't been all bad and you have met some pretty good people over there, I know that the most important people in your life are waiting at home in MN. Stay safe my friend - that homecoming day isn't so far off and we are all waiting.
God bless you.

October 27, 2005 4:10 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Sounds like someone's getting antsy. ;)

October 27, 2005 5:06 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Erik, I know that you are getting excited about going home to your wonderful family. I sure hope that you keep blogging, so we will get a taste of what it is like after your return.

Thanks for all you do for our courtry Erik. Stay safe.

October 27, 2005 5:31 AM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

great pics! Thanks for sharing this part of the world with us..from your point of view. I am sure Mis and the kids can't wait for Daddy to be home too! Hope that you will for sure be home for Christmas, as that would be great for your kids, sorry to hear that some of your 'friends'really aren't, but at least you know that now. Have a good day and stay safe!

October 27, 2005 6:11 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm sorry people you trusted turned out to be people you couldn't. It happened to me last year with a few of my closest friends. It was hard, but I am smarter now, and I really appreciate those people who I really can trust.

You are awesome. I've said it before, but thanks for everything. Your country needs you, but they also need you to come home safe. Even I am counting down the days till you get to go home to your family, and I don't even really know you!

Stay safe please!!!!

October 27, 2005 6:24 AM  
Blogger jenbeauty said...

As always thanks for sharing Erik.

October 27, 2005 6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you would have to have warped sense of humor to think this is a video gam blog. You gotta love spam!

Ryan

October 27, 2005 7:30 AM  
Blogger barb pfister said...

Sorry to hear about the people you thought you could trust and now can't. My daughter Michelle is over there until the beginning of November and I know she has experienced this as well, I just don't know what goes through some people's mind. Some of it I think is if you give certain people a little power that can go to their heads and their attitudes. Hope you stay safe and get to come home soon.

Barb

October 27, 2005 7:42 AM  
Blogger Erik Holtan said...

Barb,
I have emailed back and forth with Michelle, and said she a hero!
And to come back like she has to go on missions is awesome!
Soon til she is home as well!

October 27, 2005 8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear everyone isn't who you thought them to be. While reading your post, I cried. I am so happy for you and all other servicemembers who are writing about their homecomings. But you make me realize that neither my soldier nor my adopted soldiers will return soon. God bless you, Erik. Stay safe. I appreciate your service and sacrifice.

October 27, 2005 12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Take it from me... Sporadic at first then 3-6 months later you'll be throwin' in a line every day.... but just a line or two because you'll be workin your tail off at other stuff!

October 27, 2005 4:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, turkey's ain't suppose to have sand on 'em!!

They have to send you home before you and Curt start sniffin the glue trying to make sand/snow balls!

October 27, 2005 5:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And on a more serious note - I hope you took that "push their morals off on you" and making judgements about that to heart.

Not all people have evolved to the point that they do/say things that are actually in line with the morals that they tote. It takes time and a certain level of growth. Give them time and appreciate them for what laughter or good times they gave you to make your deployment pass.

Of course, there are just those who are a pain in the booooooty - in moral and in practice! hehehe

October 27, 2005 5:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I am just trying to get you all excited about the high number of comments you have now!

Just wanted you to have a good 5 seconds this morning when you saw that comment #

October 27, 2005 5:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I figured... 5 is a rounder number than 4!

October 27, 2005 5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erik,

Great posts, Even thought we haven't been sending you comments that much, we have been reading most of your posts. Jill, Randy, Paul, Mark and I have been constantly remembering you in our nightly prayers. We are all excited to have you back in the 'ol USA.

Keep safe,

The Swanson's

October 27, 2005 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Free free free online craps Plotters for architects data recovery http://www.travel-insurance-5.info/Femmes-en-blouses.html

February 05, 2007 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shoes 468x60 Banner 10000017 Banner GNC 468x60 drugstore.com logo 468 x 60 HJ Great Value 468x60 DI TR Summer2005 468x60 May 468x60 ID=079 Banner 10000023 tees_468x60 Clearance_022805_1 Banner 468C