Sunday, November 20, 2005

One picnic I am all for!




Today was OUR picnic/BBQ, and of all the complaints we have had for putting on these events for everyone leaving, I enjoyed THIS one the most! We played a little football, and ate some fried chicken and ribs, and fun and frolicked with the best of em! Yes, I bootlicked!
I have A LOT of pics from this one, but I am showing the ceremony ones with us(me) getting our awards. I recieved the Joint Service Commendation Medal, which is cool, and I will probably NEVER be in a place to be eligible for this award again. What makes this special is the Joint part of it. It means working alongside ALL services, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines to accomplish the mission. In my normal NG position in MN I work only with Army, so it was special because I met and worked with some GREAT service members from other branches!
I am happy that LTC Spear, our boss for the PDHA team recieved the Bronze Star, because he has been a great leader to us!
So now that I am milking this 30 days out on my blog, be looking for that rearview mirror picture any day! I have my room pretty much cleaned and my duffle bags packed and my desk pretty much cleaned out, but I can tell you this was my last Sunday in Iraq(Cross my fingers)!
I was able to thank some much deserved people tonight, and MAJ Joseph, who I talked about in my posts was given the Bronze Star as well, and as I was thanking people, I brought up the story about Cottam calling someone that used to be here during her going away ceremony, and he called that person "Chocolate Love" and as we were walking back from that ceremony I asked MAJ Joseph if I could get away with calling her that when I went home! Well, she laughed and I got to call her it tonight! You would have to know MAJ Joseph and the fact that she is VERY religious, and just a great, polite person. She is VERY proper, and gets embarressed when I do those things, so I had to! It was funny!
I feel we accomplished something here, and am proud to have been a part of the Iraq mission, and even if I directly did not impact the Iraqi people, I don't serve in that capacity, I am a support person and help those who impact the Iraqis directly!
Have a GREAT Sunday!
Later,
Erik

11 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Erik,
Well deserved awards - I have no doubt. There really is only one thing left to say - besides
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE
AND YOUR SACRIFICES!!! And that would be:
God bless you my friend. May His hedge of protection be all around you.

November 20, 2005 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erik-
I don't think I will be here for "the picture" (we're going to Camp Shelby to see Pete for his 14 hour pass on Thanksgiving- The Army is so generous with his time) so I will say get home safe and quick!! Hopefully see you soon.
Michelle and Ireland

November 20, 2005 10:36 AM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Very nice awards! Thank you again for all your hard work! Happy Last Sunday in Iraq and have a safe trip home. I am so happy that you will be with your family for the holidays. Be safe! Stacie

November 20, 2005 11:13 AM  
Blogger barb pfister said...

Can't wait to see that final picture. I know what your family is going through and I pray for your safe return.

Have a good and safe day
Barb

November 20, 2005 11:18 AM  
Blogger gipedan said...

Yours By Design Heating and Cooling is a full service Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor based in Blaine, MN
installing residential heating and air and commercial heating and air.**Heating****Cooling**furnace air filterfurnace air filter

November 20, 2005 12:05 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Congrad's go out to you Erik. Very well deserved I am sure. You take care, and have a safe trip home. Thanks for all you have done and will continue to do for our country. Stay safe, and please don't stop blogging.

November 21, 2005 5:53 AM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

oh I can't wait for you to return to your family - thanks again for your service and the sacrifices that you and your family has made!

November 21, 2005 6:22 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Wow. It's got to be kind of bittersweet for it to be coming to an end.

I hope that you continue to blog once you arrive back home. I have to have a place to give you shit about the Vi-Queens.

(I totally stole that from soneone's site and thought of you immediately!!!)

November 21, 2005 6:54 PM  
Blogger YellowRose said...

Congratulations Erik! Thank you for all you have done...I know you hear that alot, but seriously, THANK YOU for your sacrifice!

I can't wait to see the rearview mirror picture!!

In my thoughts and prayers!!

November 21, 2005 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, you seem to have a very well put together blog here!

Regards,
College Laundry Bags

January 05, 2006 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »

April 26, 2007 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shoes 468x60 Banner 10000017 Banner GNC 468x60 drugstore.com logo 468 x 60 HJ Great Value 468x60 DI TR Summer2005 468x60 May 468x60 ID=079 Banner 10000023 tees_468x60 Clearance_022805_1 Banner 468C