Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Fittingly, Ft. Bliss!!!!!!





I am back on the ground in my own country to Ft. Bliss Texas and it is a good feeling. For all military members and spouses who know that once you move via transport you lack communication, and also are so into the travel and the cattle truck mentality that you forget about that piece. We got in here at 3pm yesterday after leaving Kuwait at 5am Kuwait time the 29th. We hd our customs brief 12 hrs prior to our departure and of course the planes was delayed for 3 hours so no sleep as we were locked down after going through customs. Curt and I volunteered for baggage detail for the flight cause you get to sit in the front of the plane and space yourselves out. I was able to get about 5 or 6 total hours of sleep on the plane as we trekked through Shannon, Ireland and Bangor, Maine. Both BEAUTIFUL places to land I can tell you that. I WAS able to pick me up 3 bottles of the finer Irish Whiskey and cool souvineers from BOTH places. Bangor Maine is famous for having this greeting commitee and they do it with style. They had a couple classes of Elementary kids there to greet us as well as about 100 other volunteers to cheer us on. Great people in Bangor! Ireland, well, they talk just like the movies and that was cool cause it it one of my favorite accents.
We ended up coming right into Biggs Army Airfield as we caught a day later flight but avoided the hassle of going through Ft. Dix and then taking commercial flights to our DEMOB sites.
We went on a plane with another unit from El Paso, and when we got to Biggs it was red carpet treatment with all their families, Generals, media, and firetrucks, bagpipes and motorcycle escort on the runway! 1st Class I can tell you that, and it was hard not to get choked up seeing the families greet their servicemembers.
Unfortunatley I got the Kuwaiti Krud a week too late, and Curt was ill in Kuwait and it got me starting on the plane. Whatever though, just have to work through it! A lot of peeps get the Krud in Kuwait cause the air is crappy and not like Iraq. Got it coming and got it leaving.
I should get home about next Tuesday as the process here will take about 2 more business days than expected. LTC Spear and I rented a Nissan Maxima for us all to get around in, and are staying at the Bliss Inn so it feels a little more like the states to decompress.
I will write more about my trip as the days go here, and what it was like to take that trek.
Thanks for ALL the support so far and kids and Mis, I miss you guys and Love You, I will be home not to lonng from now OK!
Later,
Erik

15 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Erik,
This has been a long time coming my friend and my eyes are misty at the thought of your being back home in the good old US. And at the thought of you being home with your family in less than a week. Your "Long Strange Trip" has been an experience for us all - but we can definitely deal with the fact that it's almost over. Because that means that at long last you are back on US soil. With thanks to you and to those you serve with...and to your families for enduring it all for the sake of your fellow Americans and for those who live in that country half a world away.
Godspeed you home to your family now my friend.
Sending you hugs, and praying that God blesses you abundantly.

November 30, 2005 4:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOWZA! Ya' know all I could think was that your next post was going to be a version of "I'm on my way, just set me free, home sweet home....Tonight, tonight. I'm on my way....." Well, you know what I am sayin'.

Hey - I saw a license plate today that made me think of my favorite 80's rock kinda cell mate from iraq... WHTZMB and it was from some crap state... up north! Anyway - congrats! You loved that airplane food didn't ya'!!

November 30, 2005 5:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and I love the photo from Ireland - Yeah, I noticed that you are standing on the BAR side and not the CAFE. Coffee lover my arse! And in Shannon, whatrya' thinkin' m'laddy? (Not m'lady! although, in some instances I might put you in that catergory! hehehehe!) Welcome HOME!!

November 30, 2005 5:44 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Erik,
Great to hear you are back on State soil. I hope you get to MN soon as for you need to cool off right quick. I know it is cold there. Hope you packed your winter coat lol. I am sure that the kids and wife are all kinds of excited only a few more days to go!! Take care Jenn

November 30, 2005 8:10 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Erik,
Great to hear you are back on State soil. I hope you get to MN soon as for you need to cool off right quick. I know it is cold there. Hope you packed your winter coat lol. I am sure that the kids and wife are all kinds of excited only a few more days to go!! Take care Jenn

November 30, 2005 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey erik and missy- I am so glad that you are almost home. Told pete tonight that your on your way home and he wants me to tell ya hi and welcome home! Can't wait to see ya back in mn! I am tearing up thinking of how great this is for you guys to be together again! Glad your back safe and sound-
The Connerys

November 30, 2005 8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 01, 2005 3:01 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Welcome home soldier...Nothing like the good ole USA. Thanks for keeping us updated on your return home. Have a safe trip home.

December 01, 2005 5:35 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Man, I am so jealous. I am dieing to go to Ireland. My Dad would fight you for the Irish Whiskey, but I have to say yuck!!! I mean unless you just shoot it and wash it down with a beer. I guess that is probably a sin to some people. I bet Mis is just freakin' waiting for you to get home. I am so excited for her. Yeeha Mis!!!!!

December 01, 2005 6:20 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Good to have your feet back on home-soil. :)

December 01, 2005 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Erik,
I am bummed, I have to go to dallas next week so I wont be around to go to the airport! I will be thinking about you.
Ryan

December 01, 2005 7:44 AM  
Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

WHOOOHOOO!!!

December 01, 2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

Sgt Erik -
This is so awesome am so glad you are back on US soil - and the kids and Mis will LOVE having you home in less than a week - that is just so great!

Thank you so much for your service, and to your family for all they endured while you were overseas. We will be forever thankful and grateful.

December 01, 2005 5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for blogs referring to Dallas and found yours. Great blog! I'm in Dallas and here's some info about me

February 05, 2006 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Information and best buys on products and services of all kinds. Accessories

February 28, 2006 3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shoes 468x60 Banner 10000017 Banner GNC 468x60 drugstore.com logo 468 x 60 HJ Great Value 468x60 DI TR Summer2005 468x60 May 468x60 ID=079 Banner 10000023 tees_468x60 Clearance_022805_1 Banner 468C