Saturday, March 18, 2006

Taking time to NOT forget!

2 opposing views from palace to gate and vice versa. Friends will be flying into BIAP(in the distance of 2nd photo) very soon.
Well, Meritt reminds us in todays post that in some way we are ALL affected by the conflicts overseas in that we know a family member or friend or coworker serving this country right now overseas or having done so in the recent past myself obviously included.
I can be happy my time for now over there is done, HOWEVER, for the same reason I thought I was UNFORTUNATE to be one of the chosen few from my unit to go on last years rotation, the 1st BCT from the 34th ID here in mostly Minnesota and Iowa is staged at Camp Shelby MS some having already flown out, and others waiting for the short notice to get their crap and fly! I got lucky to be on the last one and home now!
I will tell you I wanted to bring this issue up today because here in the midwest it is affecting us at this time in a big way. 4000 troops from the midwest heading out. Yes, BCT's from LA, PA, AR, MS, and WA have come and gone, but it is our turn to lend our friends for awhile!
I would say that seeing the press so much recently from this area makes me a little jealous in some way, mainly because I was not able to go with a huge group of friends or people that I know, but I can say, I am not THAT jealous. I had a good gig over there, and they will not have it as good as I did. I was able to see so much more than most people who are stuck at their mission for the whole dang time.
So, I can also say that some of my great friends are leaving, and I have told you about DAN, and his wife Emily. Dan is one of the best humans you could know. I saw them at Christmas, but He took the time to keep up with me while was gone, get me a job when I got back, laugh at my jokes, and just be a great person. Dan, I would LOVE to be able to deploy next to you, maybe next time(NOT!) Pete, you are my longest NG friend. I used to say to our leadership that the person I would trust most in my life besides my family would be YOU, based on your convictions.
I know Michelle does most of your online spokemanship, and we'll do what we can to help her out. With the exception of Dan who now makes 2 poeple have the utmost respect for! Yes,, there are plenty others like SSG Lee, Wayne L., and the rest of the crew from CG! I will not forget you are over there this year, and it may seem like you are forgotten while you are there, but you are not! Not by me anyways!
I know in the past while I was gone I said I wanted to start a foundation when I got home to support families of military soldiers, especially deployed. Well, for us here I have found the Minnesota Military Family Foundation that supoorts families of soldiers while deployed in financial hardship or need. It provides grants when families need it. I know they have helped people make mortgage payments, and car payments, and that is one I will pledge to support. So if you live in the midwest, know that you have a mass of folks leaving the area for our countries greater good.(Don't be fooled by the left, we are in too deep, and leaving now would provide a greater danger to YOU!) If you know someone deployed, take care of their family, check up on their family periodically, and don't wait for them to ask for help. It doesn't work that way! If you have an employee that is gone, support them, and honor their sacrifice of giving up life for a year, or maybe EVER! Think about it that way. If they never come back, won't you feel like crap for not supporting them and their family because YOUR life was too important to think about someone else! Sorry, I know plenty that think like that, and just know that you don't want to be one of those!
Long Story longer.........I love you guys who are leaving, and you will do us proud back home!!!
Later,
Erik

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I sit here reading your blog, my son in law is in the air on his way to Iraq. He is S. Dakota NG and will be in Bagdad Tuesday (our time). Our daughter is in Sioux Falls,keeping the home fires burning, raising an 8 yr old and one on the way. We know that we will be spending alot of time with her this summer and hope her friends keep tabs on her when we cannot. Let's get this thing sorted out and get our boys home to their loved ones!!

March 19, 2006 4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I read your message, my son is probably in Kuwaitt right now. Having gotten the message on Thurs after the ceremony (as you say) to get their crap and fly! I am proud of him and all of you that have given up time to defend, protect and serve this country.We here at home start the offical countdown which I hope for all goes Quickly! God bless.

March 19, 2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger Brighton said...

HOpe the time passes quickly for them, beautiful pictures!

March 20, 2006 6:19 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

I am glad you are back home with your family and I am sorry to see people have to go, but I think it is said best....Freedom is NOT free. Thnak you for paying our tab Erik. You are a true patriot.

March 20, 2006 8:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

May they all just return safely...

March 20, 2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Meritt - I am so sorry to say this, but every time E-ticket mentions you in his blogs all I think is Hammitt (rhymes with damn-it - which is all I think when I hear that name!)

Bottom line: E-money - get a new handle for Meritt!!

hehehehehehehe!

BTW - I am first tomorrow!!!!

March 20, 2006 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey E-Ticket...just catching up with the BLOG. On company time of course.
I was just thinking about everyone leaving for Iraq too. They have been gone for awhile(to Camp Shelby), but it feels different now that are actually out of the country. It has been unusually quiet around work with everyone's minds on them.
I will miss D-Rock,Princess K, The Kaphing brothers, and everyone else heading over. See you all in a year....and YES you can come back here to work.

April 03, 2006 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Mighty mule gate opener trouble shooting manufacture ultram apartments for salesofia bulgaria Sympathy flowers houston tx Obtaining new york state real estate license Padded kitchen chairs swivel detchema perfume department store Computer literate baby boomers http://www.drug-interaction-oxycontin.info/Cheapestukinsuranceonline.html Fort bragg cliff house restaurant Chevrolet diesel to gas conversion what is acyclovir Reposessed houses in indiana Rowan county north carolina property taxes Lamborghini orange county Bullhead city realty Accutane category x isuzu Icemaker kit appliances

February 05, 2007 2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

March 01, 2007 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shoes 468x60 Banner 10000017 Banner GNC 468x60 drugstore.com logo 468 x 60 HJ Great Value 468x60 DI TR Summer2005 468x60 May 468x60 ID=079 Banner 10000023 tees_468x60 Clearance_022805_1 Banner 468C